Saturday, June 21, 2008

What's Love Got to do With It

this morning I woke up feeling blahhhhhhh...I guess I had good reason, though, seeing how I'm still in my "shelter-like-state" with no one who gives too much of a hoot. So, to celebrate my misery, I told off a few people in the donut line this morning--two of them being of "African American" descent--who just about took me down...(that's when I realized there was the train stop not far which would be a better alternative for me at that point)...As I ranted and raved my opinions of homeless people while marching backward toward the train station, a tina turner song started to creep it's way slowly into my mental cavity, (and even if it didn't--it could have)...and I felt ashamed...albeit it was a delayed reaction...

Later, while walking back from the hospital where a gorgeous doctor granted my meds request, I was whistling and smiling and enjoying the sweet honeysuckle smell coming from the foilage on the sides of the streets, thanking God for being alive and promising never, ever to insult another homeless or otherwise situated person again, when a small mexican man appeared out of nowhere.

Suddenly, before I knew it, he was walking beside me with his bike. I said hello, and he asked if I wanted a ride on the back, to which I responded "No thanks, I'm a bus-girl myself." He then asked if we could get together for a while and I had a feeling it had to do with a foreigner song from the early 80's....I assured him I would not--as I was a "Mormone"--to which he then apologized for his question. He then said he wanted to get married--and I noticed a hint of desperation in his voice...I started to wonder if perhaps I was being solicited to help him with his naturalization process to become a citizen of the U.S.

I told him I just wanted to enjoy the rest of my morning--without getting married or having pre-maritial relations...he was satisfied with that, and we shook hands and went our seperate ways....which brings to mind a Journey song...

And, viola, here I am at the /sLc libraray trying to stay cool as the temperature climbs to 96 degrees--a figure that is ingrained into my mind for the rest of the day as it was announced over the intercom back at the shelter dorm around 5 times before "exit time" this morning--where I first became aware I was hungry for a doughnut....which of course led to my crappy morning.

1 comment:

Becky said...

.....Shiloh when I was young......I used to call your name...........when no one else would come............Shiloh you always came............and the computer session would extend another 10 minutes.